If you are like me you will have a laundry list of things to do when getting ready for your new baby’s arrival. It is such an exciting time but you may be somewhat overwhelmed with the thought of shopping for all of the newborn essentials you will need for your baby and nursery.
Whether you are setting up the nursery or just picking up all the gear for sleeping, eating, and diapering, it’s easy to get lost in the details of all of these baby necessities. You might be wondering where to start and what exactly do you need for a baby?
I am here to help and have compiled the most comprehensive and complete baby checklist of essential baby items to add to your amazon baby registry.
The sheer amount of things a newborn needs can be daunting and takes many soon-to-be Moms and Dads by surprise. So what are the absolute must-have baby items you just can’t afford to forget, the baby essentials you definitely can’t live without? Here is my list of the tried and true, basic baby necessities you should load up on before your the arrival of your precious little one.
In all honesty, baby clothes are just about the cutest things you can buy these days, but you’ll want to be careful and ensure the adorable little outfits you choose are also practical pieces that will keep your little one warm and comfortable! When it comes to dressing your newborn for sleep or travel, these are the baby must-haves:
- 6-10 Onesies – Make sure to look for wide leg and head openings.
- 4-8 Undershirts – You can never really have too many of these.
- 6-10 One-piece Pajamas – I prefer pajamas with zippers as my large fingers don’t do well with the snaps.
- 1-3 Sweaters or Jackets – Look for something comfortable with buttons in the front.
- 1-3 Rompers – For dressing up when you want a “fancy” baby!
- 3-5 Pairs of Socks – For use under the swaddle if you are not using full legged/booted pajamas.
- 1-3 hats – Broad-brimmed for summer wear or soft cap for the winter.
- A Pair of Soft Mittens
Everyone wants their baby nursery to look like it could be featured in a magazine, but it is super important to find furniture that will not only make it easier to care for your child but also provide superior levels of safety. Here are the baby essentials for any nursery:
- Baby Crib – Sturdy, Safe, and made with non-toxic materials
- Baby Crib Mattress – Find the best quality you can afford – Look for a firm, flat, non-toxic and preferably breathable sleep surface.
- Gliding or Rocking Armchair – Go with comfort as you will be spending many hours in this chair
- Baby Monitor – Many options for both conventional video and smart baby monitors
- Nightlight & White Noise – You can find really nice nightlights which also combo as white noise machines
- Dresser – Simple and sturdy with plenty of top space for the baby changing pad, diapers, lotions, etc.
- Toy & Blanket Basket – Simple and without sharp edges for safety.
Baby Bedding & Sleep
Sleep is going to be a precious and possibly limited commodity for both you and your baby. Help the entire family get the blissful sleep you all need with these essential baby items list for bedding:
- 1-3 Washable Crib Mattress Pads
- 2-4 Fitted and Breathable Crib Sheets
- 4-6 Soft, Light Receiving Blankets
- 2-3 Light Swaddle Wraps or Sacks
- 1-2 Heavy Swaddle Wraps or Sacks
Diapers & Changing Supplies
Changing a diaper with expertise and speed may be a learned skill, but I promise you will be a master in no time. You will find these baby must-haves a huge boon while you figure out the perfect system for changing your little one regardless of whether you are in playing in the living room, on the go in the car, or in the nursery in the middle of the night. Take a look at my newborn checklist for diaper supplies:
- Changing Table or Firm Changing Pad for your dresser
- Diaper pail and liners – I absolutely love the Diaper Genie
- Diaper Bag
- Diaper Cream | Buttpaste
- Baby Wipes – Truely no clue how I ever got along in life without wet wipes!
- Soft washcloths
- 2-3 large boxes of disposable newborn-size 0 or 1 diapers
Bath time is fun time but it can certainly be a bit stressful at first until you begin to feel more comfortable with the whole process. To help you along your way you should be prepared with all the right gear to make your bathtime fun, safe, and stress-free. These are the bathtime essentials for baby:
- Baby Bathtub – Look for a tub with a built-in mesh liner and sling to support your baby.
- Baby Soap – Gentle and chemical free soap so it’s not harsh on your little one’s sensitive skin.
- Baby Shampoo – You can often find an all in one shampoo and soap combo perfect for baby bath time.
- 2-4 soft towels or hooded baby towels – Not only comfy but super cute with the little hoodies!
- Baby Head Scrubber – Look for a soft bristle to help with removing your baby’s cradle cap.
- Soft Washcloths
- Gentle Laundry Detergent
Let’s be real. It is going to feel like you are feeding your newborn around the clock. Whether you’re breastfeeding or bottle-feeding, you will need the right gear to make this process as painless as possible. Here is my breakdown of the essential feeding supplies to keep on hand at all times:
- 10-16 Bottles and Nipples, both 4- and 8- ounce – If you breastfeed you can get by with half the bottles.
- Breast Pump
- Milk Storage Bags – Great for freezing and building up a surplus of stock.
- Nursing Pads – It will sometimes feel like you are taking a bath in breastmilk…true story!
- Nipple Cream – Your baby’s latch is super important but the nipple cream can help as you both figure things out.
- Nursing Pillow – The right pillow can really help with breastfeeding your baby.
- Bottlebrush – Something flexible that can reach all of the nooks and crannies in baby bottles and nipples.
- Dishwasher Basket – Very useful when sterilizing all of the small pieces
- 4-8 bibs
- A few Burp Cloths
- 4-8 Pacifiers – Really can’t have too many of these…they have this annoying habit of disappearing like Houdini
- A few weeks supply of Formula – If you are breastfeeding you may want a couple packs just for emergency backup
Health and Hygiene
Babies need the grooming too. Also if your child happens to get sick, you’ll want to have the right baby essentials on hand to asses the situation. Here’s what to look for:
- Baby Nail Clippers
- Blunt Scissors
- Baby Thermometer
- Fridababy NoseFrida – These SnotSucker Saline Kits are real life savers!
- First Aid Kit
Essential Baby Gear
Whether you’re out and about or getting ready for mealtime at home, you will want to have this vital baby gear on hand before your little one arrives home for the first time. Here are the baby essentials you will need to have ready to go:
- Infant Car Seat
- Stroller or Infant Carrier
- Baby Swing or Bouncer
- High Chair